Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fevvers

My rabbit, Vincent Price, has decided to renew his front teeth by very selectively chewing on my power cord to my laptop. Whoops.

As for Carter... The first book within the novel took me nearly a week to finish. Mostly because it was so dull to me. I found the plot didn't pick up at all. More than that, the remainder of the book took me even longer because of the subversive nature of the text that took me into far reaching corners of feminine theory. I am constantly surprised at how the dejected female becomes powerful, but puts herself at risk. With Fevvers, and more recently, Mignon. The story is disturbing and leaves me wondering if the authoress intentioned each of her characters to experience these trials on top. I find I'm torn in trying to establish whether this messages contains any kind of moral trail or whether it's a factual representation of patriarchal institutions.

It's becomes a bit too easy, as a female, to read myself into the text. I guess that's when the author solidifies the success of the story. But it's disturbing none-the-less. An out-of-text carnivaleque experience in which the novel become part of life's meta-narrative, or I become part of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment